Lemony Fresh

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mmmmm...Lemons!  They just scream summer, don't they?  I love pretty much anything with lemon in it so when I saw the recipe for Lemon Lemon Lemon Loaf that our friends at Like Mother Like Daughters posted, I had to give it a try.   So I ran to the store to grab a a few lemons to recreate this masterpiece, and lo and behold, came home with a 2-lb bag of the little yellow beauties.   While I would have been just as happy squeezing these into an ice cold glass of water, I decided to be a little more inspired so I made the ever so yummy English Lemon Shortbread Bars.  Wish you could have been here this morning.  Having zested and squeezed all of them, my home smelled like a lemon sanctuary.  I could get used to this.  Note to self...buy more lemons.

You've gotta try this one!  We LOVE Nancy, Ellen and Robin! 5..6..7..8..!  (They'll know what this means) :-)
'Lemon Lemon Lemon Loaf' from Like Mother Like Daughters




And now...the English Lemon Shortbread Strips.
These are now one of my new favorite desserts.  I'll be making these often!  They're soooo gooood!

Photo credit to Land O' Lakes
(We ate them all before I could get a picture...I'm not kidding)
Here what you'll need...

Shortbread Ingredients:
2 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Glaze Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Garnish Ingredients:
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all shortbread ingredients except flour in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press dough evenly into lightly greased 15x10x1 jelly-roll pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely.

Combine all glaze ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth. Spread thin layer of glaze over cooled shortbread; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon lemon peel, if desired. Let stand 30 minutes to set. Cut into 2 1/2x1-inch strips.

Adapted from a Land O' Lakes recipe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Shelfari

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Peace☮Love♡Cook☺Play Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino